Anyone that knows me knows that I am really not a big fan of books. That sounds
terrible and I realize a lot of people are going to hate me because of this, I
just don't enjoy them. I am a slow reader and I have issues really getting
engrossed in a book. After our discussion about Gutenberg and how influential
his printing press was it changed my perspective about books. Before I was just
looking at books like textbooks and books that we are forced to read for
school. I never thought before about what books did to the world. Before you
were forced to conform to what the kings point of view was and there weren't
any records about events that had occurred in the past. After the printing
press was invented literacy rates shot up and so did the need for an education.
Afterwards the protestant reformation occurred with the 95 theses that were
posted on all the doors of Catholic Churches. Because Martin Luther had the
audacity to oppose the Catholic Church it started a wave of ideas being spread.
People now spoke their minds and explored the ideas of areas of study like
politics, literature, art, math and science. This caused a large reformation in
society. I am very open about my opinions on society and topics. It's just who
I am. It gets me in trouble sometimes but I wouldn't change that characteristic
about myself for anything. Without Martin Luther and the reform I would still
be living in a society where I would have to conform to the Catholic Church and
their beliefs. There would be no sharing of opposing views and quite frankly
the world would be a very boring place. Even though I am not the biggest fan of
books I couldn't imagine a world without them and without what they have done
for society. So thanks Gutenberg!

No comments:
Post a Comment